Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Mets asleep at the wheel?

Not sure what Mr. Minaya is doing, but seems like the time is right to do something. While the smaller fish and snapping up the smaller prey (but paying them the same top dollar) Milton?  Millwood? -- Mets need to add some bats in a big way.  I keep going back and forth in my own head about Delgado and Beltran.  Of  the two, I think Beltran is the sweeter deal, and may be ripe for the picking -- particularly on the heels of Yanks having to overpay for the Unit and $25 Mil luxury tax, but his .280 BA outside of Shea scares me a bit.  But if we can have him at $100 mil, what the hey.

 

As for Delgado, I would have liked to sign him 3 years ago for a 3-year contract.  I like his numbers, but just wish we could trade for 2 or 3 can't miss prospects who will show us increasing returns over the next 3-5 years, not diminishing ones -- thus Nick Johnson, maybe the 1B from Philadelphia, a Kearns or Pena from Cincy, etc. Maybe Diaz is one that the Mets already have; I'm willing to give him a shot at that.  Guess that means I'd be willing to take a flyer on a Mags in the same vein, if it ties up less money, and allows us to try and get a few of these pieces.   Hillenbrand for Floyd gives me some of the same benefits, and maybe if we can get a prospect back as well ....

 

But the time to strike is clearly sooner rather than later ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home